Called to Bar: 2006
Ruth Higgins SC is a leading commercial silk specialising in competition law, class actions, energy, media, corporate criminal and corporations matters. She has been included in Best Lawyers Australia since it commenced in 2008, and Chambers Global since 2011. The 2019 edition of Chambers describes her as a "very thorough force to be reckoned with." She is listed in Doyle's Guide as a preeminent silk in competition law, and is also listed in commercial litigation, insolvency law, and media and telecommunications law.
- in many significant competition law proceedings, for both private parties and the ACCC. She has appeared unled and led in the High Court in Flight Centre, The CFMEU case concerning agreed civil penalties, and in Part IIIA proceedings concerning the Port of Newcastle. Ruth appeared in the first two modern corporate criminal prosecutions and is regularly briefed in such matters. Her merger appearances include being counsel for AGL in relation to the acquisition of the assets of Macquarie Generation, and for Pacific National in the current Aurizon/Pacific National proceedings. In contested Part IV proceedings, she has acted for parties including Cement Australia, the Australian Jockey Club and for Apple in its Australian antitrust case against Samsung;
- in significant class actions, including for VW, Audi and Skoda in respect of diesel emissions, in the Takata air bags proceedings for Nissan, Infigen in respect of a bushfire class action, and for IOOF in the Provident debentures class action;
- in a variety of energy law actions, in the Federal Court, Australian Competition Tribunal and in private arbitrations, including under Part 23 of the National Gas Rules. Her clients have included AGL, ActewAGL, BP, Origin, Epic Energy, Energy Australia, South Australia Power Networks, and Hydro Tasmania;
- in various media law cases, including for Today FM, Seven, and Nine in contested proceedings and corporate restructures;
- in corporate criminal proceedings concerning insider trading, bribery of foreign public officials and related areas;
- in diverse corporations law proceedings, including insolvency proceedings and schemes of arrangement;
- in public inquiries, including as Senior Counsel for the CBA at the Royal Commission into Financial Services, counsel assisting the ACCC East Coast Gas Enquiry, and at hearings of the ICAC.
Download CV (336 KB)
Core Practice Areas
- Competition and Consumer Law
- Corporations and Insolvency
- Injunctions/Urgent Relief
- Public Law
- Representative Proceedings
Inquiries to Banco’s clerk can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please call (02) 8239 0201.
Level 9, Two Chifley Square, Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: 9376 0602
Fax: 9335 3542
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.